Guys, hey! Happy New Years, loves. I hope your 2018 is already kicking butt and taking names! Maybe you’re super excited for the new year, or maybe you’re wondering how this year could top last year. Whatever the case may be, I believe and declare this year will be amaze-balls.
I don’t want to start this post by suggesting that since it’s a new year, you have to make lots and lots of changes. Frankly, I had a very wonderful year in 2017 and while I *always* have goals (more on this in a sec), I personally don’t feel as if I have to be totally different in the coming year. Chances are, you did some things right, too. In addition, I don’t feel like you have to wait until January to change my life either. I can choose to grow or improve myself every and any morning, day or night.
Often times, how we start our morning sets the tone for the entire day. Do you wake up feeling rushed, behind or grumpy (am I the only one not a morning person?)? Or maybe you love mornings but an hour in and you’re overwhelmed by the tasks of the day and can’t wait until evening. Whatever your morning is like, whether you work from home, take care of your household or go to a place of business, we all need a little time to jumpstart our day the right way. I really love the idea of having quiet time in the morning and taking a few moments to myself but that’s not always a reality. I’ve compiled a list of ways to get your day started the best way possible so you can go and slayyyyyyyyyyy.
- This is for my peeps who are on the go and don’t have a moment to think in the AM. Do yourself a favor and download the app, Peptalk. I LOVE it. Like for real. It has something for EVERYONE and it will get you so motivated you will be ready to conquer the world thirty seconds in. Pick a topic, speaker or your commute time and it will tailor it to your needs. I actually listen to it at the gym a lot because it’s great for that, too. Plus, the free version is pretty great. Can’t say enough good things about this one.
- I don’t really know what to call this one, but it makes me feel good if I can start my day with a Prayer List. I wrote down ten categories and I listed ten things in each category that I want to pray about. For example, I have my Family category and I have different needs in this one than I do in my Marriage, Career or Causes category. And I really go all in. Like, I’m writing things down that are bold and embarrassingly huge. I adopted this idea from the eBook, Praying for Your Elephant: Boldly Approaching Jesus with Radical and Audacious Prayer. I can’t explain why, but it helps me start my mind in the right direction if I take some time with God and pray for other people. I touch on almost every topic that means something to me so if I start to worry about it at some point during the day, I can rest assured that I already said a prayer about it and then I’m forced to let it go.
- Goals, goals, goals. I could probably do a whole post on this process alone. And this might sound obvious but I’ve talked to so many people who haven’t written out their goals. I forget who said that you should be content with where you are but never be content with where you’re going (or something like that). I really hold strong to this one. If you haven’t already, write down your goals for this year and your five year goals, too. And write them somewhere you look all the time (if you don’t have a journal, get one). Look at these goals and pray, meditate or do both (or whatever your jam is) every single morning. Yep, every. Single. Morning. And make the time to do one thing, just ONE thing to get closer to a goal that day. It doesn’t have to be huge. It could be writing an email, making a phone call or putting $20 into a new savings account. It’s still January but don’t slack off on your short-term goals because you think you have time. You don’t have all the time in the world. Be wise and start now.
- Read your bible. Get inspiration from a daily devotional, the actual Bible or a book that speaks to you. Inspiration. Get some.
- Affirmations. This is an easy one to get done no matter what kind of time you have in the morning. I also think you should do this before bed too. Put them on your mirror on notecards, in your phone or anywhere you can remember. Say them aloud every day. This isn’t superstitious, I’ve seen my own life transform over the last two years and I really believe if you speak things as if it were, your life will follow your professions. Mine aren’t short phrases all the time (Example: everything I touch prospers and succeeds), my main one is two pages long. I read it front to back out loud.
- Get a word for the year. I wrote mine down next to my goals (and that’s right next to the Hubs goals- we make them together). It should be something that is a constant challenge for you. My word for last year was freedom. This year, its release.
These things have helped me in my life and I didn’t want to keep it to myself. Is there something you do that has made an impact in your life? I’d love to hear about it, drop a comment below. Then follow me on Insta :)