You’ve been looking forward to that family vacation for months, you got the whole gang packed up (which only took a week itself) and you’ve finally made it to the airport. You couldn’t be more ready to kiss this winter weather goodbye and slather on the SPF, right?
Well mother nature has different plans.
If you ever travel by plane, it’s not really a matter of if you’ll get stranded, but when. So how do you keep everyone sane when you have to play the ever-so-lovely waiting game?
I’ve compiled a list of things to do for any age group. Plus, a lot of these are free (but you’ll want to get the hand sanitizer ready):
- Walk the escalator or moving walkway (especially good for the toddlers, repeat several times)
Roll over the pic to Pin it up!
- Sit by the windows so you can watch all the planes as they come and go
- Tell stories to your kids- need help? Here’s this Dad’s tips on the art of storytelling
- Play areas exist in some airports, thank God! If not, explore the shops
- Some bigger airports have people movers like trains (like this one at ATL)- take a ride!
- Reward good behavior with a little treat from a restaurant (perhaps some frozen yogurt?)
- Play I Spy With my Little Eyes and other games that don’t require anything but imagination
- Check out Conde` Nast’s top apps to download when you’re stranded at the airport. It lists anything from locating places to eat to making alternative plans if need be
- Here’s my list of Family Travel Apps, #3 and #4 will be especially useful at any airport
- Of course, you can always watch a movie or YouTube clips of Baby Einstein (or whatever your child’s favorite show may be) on your phone or laptop, most airports have free wifi after all :)